Friday, April 6, 2012

Choosing a Name




      A few days after finding out we were having a girl, I was looking over the list of baby girl names we had complied. The name "Aliyah" stood out to me from that list and I felt the Lord saying that this was the name we were to give our daughter. I found that the name "Aliyah" actually meant "rising" and immediately the middle name, "Joy" came to my mind. "Rising Joy".....how appropriate. I was excited that Rod loved the name when I presented it to him......our decision was made!

     An except from my journal at the end of May 2010: "Rising Joy"....Father, this is what Rod and I need so much from you right now. A JOY that goes beyond our circumstance. A JOY that is based only on the foundation of having you as Lord. God, in the midst of everything, Rod and I continue to go back to the fact that You are so GOOD to us."

     A few days after naming our daughter, a Jewish co-worker asked me if I knew what Aliyah's name meant. I told her I knew that it meant "rising." She informed me that in Jewish culture, An "Aliyah" is the name that is used to describe the journey of the Jewish people going back to the temple of God. An "Aliyah" includes "rising up" the temple stairs to meet with God, to seek His face, and to come into His PRESENCE......Rod and I were amazed! Once again the Lord had gone before us showing how He was giving LIFE to our situation before we were even aware of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment